As we aspire to achieve balance through fitness and proper nutrition, we allow our best selves to shine. This blog is dedicated to the effort involved in realizing that balance.







Thursday, May 27, 2010

Old friends

On May 19th one of my dearest friends arrived with her 3 year old to stay with us for a week. It was a much anticipated visit, and one that doesn't happen too often. We've been the best of friends since we were roommates in college, and although that was years ago, it doesn't feel like much has changed since then. Erin's son is 2 weeks older than Madeleine, so we knew the two of them would get along swimmingly. And we were right. Within an hour of arriving, I heard Miles exclaim to Madeleine, "You're my best friend EVER!" If only we could all express our emotions so sincerely. From that moment forward, they were inseparable.

Being able to spend extended time with Erin was such a treat. We both realized what benefits commune living has. The children were thrilled to have another grown-up around who had new ideas and different ways of relating. As a (primarily) stay-at-home mom, I loved having an extra set of hands and a built in babysitter when I did have to work. For the most part, we did the same old things that I usually do with my children, but being able to share that with Erin made everything more enjoyable. We couldn't get over seeing our little ones holding hands walking down the street because it seems like just yesterday that we were the young ones, unattached, uninhibited, and still discovering ourselves. What a difference sixteen years makes! I'm happy to say that I still feel very much like that young person, just with more responsibilities and a greater awareness that comes naturally with age. Although I only see Erin once or twice per year, we have the type of friendship that picks up from exactly where it left off. It's rare and beautiful, and something I don't take for granted.

Of course, I'd be lying if I said the house didn't feel cramped after almost a week. I would never describe myself as a clean-freak, but I found myself mopping and sweeping much more often than I normally do. I'm sure Erin also could have used an hour (or five) to herself in peace and quiet, as I know her solitary time is a daily necessity. My kids don't allow for that, but her son amazingly can play on his own for an hour or more while she decompresses. Not much of that happened here. Overall, we laughed, we played, we reminisced, we cooked; we reinforced a bond that is deeper than I can articulate.
Madeleine has said multiple times per day that she misses her friend, Miles. She's experiencing a feeling that isn't common to her yet, but as adults we're more than used to saying goodbye to people we love. Just because we're accustomed to it doesn't make it easier. I have many cousins and friends spread throughout the states, Canada, and Europe and I wish I could see them all more often. But my friendship with Erin is a great example of how enduring a connection between two people can be. And that's worth suffering through an eternity of goodbyes for.

No comments:

Post a Comment