As we aspire to achieve balance through fitness and proper nutrition, we allow our best selves to shine. This blog is dedicated to the effort involved in realizing that balance.







Monday, April 19, 2010

Home, sweet home


Just like that, I'm back to reality. Our 3 days in Napa was everything we thought it would be and more. The weather was perfect, the house was beautiful, the wine delicious, and the company, lovely. Being away allowed me to physically and mentally remove myself from the daily demands of motherhood and working (though, for the most part, work is pleasure). I was able to see Keith through different eyes -- the eyes of my younger, carefree self -- and while fatherhood definitely accentuates the best in him, it was nice to rediscover the other qualities that originally made him so attractive to me.

Husband aside, it was refreshing to be with my friends in an environment that wasn't interrupted by children. While our kids were never far from our minds, they didn't take precedence, and we could give each other the attention we all deserved. I walked away from this trip feeling more balanced, more blessed, more prepared for life. I feel stronger in my relationships and therefore, more able to approach today with a zeal that isn't always there. My children also have a mom that's more relaxed and better able to attend to their every whims. I've kissed my children's lips more in the last two days than I have in awhile -- and that's saying a lot considering how much affection they get. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, and with children that's true to another degree.

So I guess it's fair to say that while I'm sorry the trip is over, its benefits are lasting. I'd love to be lying poolside, with a book and glass of wine, but then I'd be missing all the other things that make my life so rich. For now, remembering the feelings I had in Napa is enough. At least, until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment