As we aspire to achieve balance through fitness and proper nutrition, we allow our best selves to shine. This blog is dedicated to the effort involved in realizing that balance.







Thursday, February 18, 2010

Budding athletes?



As the L.A. Marathon quickly approaches -- only 4 weeks to go -- I'm already wondering how I'll fill the time I've been using to train. While some of the runs have been difficult to schedule because of unexpected rain, sick kids, sick Keith, etc., overall I've been efficient in my training and it's become like anything else I have to fit into my days. Typically, when I commit myself to something, out of sheer stubborness I follow through. On the days that I haven't felt like running, I only entertained the thought of skipping for a minute before realizing that I wouldn't have any other time to make up the workout. With time to complete only three training runs per week and one of them being a long run, the interval training and tempo runs have been essential in keeping my body conditioned. One friend recently said that I should stop with all the training, that I should be more than ready for the 26.2 miles. I agree that I probably am but the purpose isn't to just go out and do the run - it's to do the best I can and feel good the next day. I want to be injury-free so I can bounce back quickly, carry-on with my everyday life, and focus on the next event.

Keith's family is very athletic. As children, he and his four siblings watched their parents compete in multiple triathlons and marathons. Those sporting events became family events, and as Keith and his older brother and sister grew up, they too found their nitches and the family came together again to watch each of them compete. Part of the thrill of being a parent is the idea of letting your children discover their talents and then watching them thrive. I love the thought of Madeleine and Owen joining me in years to come for a 10K, half-marathon, or if they're interested, a marathon. It would be so fun to share that with them. I recognize, though, that there is a fine line between encouraging and pressuring. While I think it's important to expose our children to our hobbies, I do realize that they may not choose the same ones. I would be disappointed if neither Madeleine nor Owen wanted to participate in sports, but I'd have to accept it and encourage them to pursue whatever it is that inspires them.

My parents did a good job at exposing me to different sports. From the time I was very young, I always had swimming and tennis lessons during the summer, and softball or volleyball, and track during the school year. I discovered my love for running on my own when I was a teenager. I figured out early on that it helped keep me mentally and physically sound, and here I am, years later, running for the same reasons. If my kids decide that running gives them the same pleasure, I'll be grateful to know that I passed along a healthful passion. One way or another, they'll be cheering me on in a few weeks and, with God's help, for years to come. If they never step foot behind a starting line, they'll at least have respect for running because of what it's given me, and that's all I can really ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment