As we aspire to achieve balance through fitness and proper nutrition, we allow our best selves to shine. This blog is dedicated to the effort involved in realizing that balance.







Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dinner is served, and it's: Couscous with Feta, Chicken Sausage, and Tomatoes

Keith is traveling on business, so I'm only cooking for myself tonight. I'm very much a creature of habit and tend to make the same recipes over and over again -- especially when I just have to think of myself. One of my go-to meals is couscous. I love it because it's healthy, versatile, and extremely easy to prepare. Tonight I'm throwing together a few ingredients I have in the house, but feel free to use other veggies that you have on hand.

Here's what you'll need: (can all be purchased at Trader Joe's)

1/3 cup whole wheat couscous
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 fresh lemon
1/2 tbsp flat leaf parsley
1/2 chicken sausage - optional (I add it because I like the extra protein, and I love the garlic chicken sausages from Trader Joe's)
1/2 tomato
1/4 medium cucumber
1/4 cup feta cheese

The couscous only takes 5 minutes to cook so before putting it on the stove, dice the tomato and cucumber, and coarsely chop the parsley. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, cumin, and fresh lemon juice. Toss in parsley. Boil slightly more than 1/3 cup water (usually couscous/water ratio is even, but I find that a little bit more water keeps the couscous from being too dry). When water is boiling, add couscous, cover and remove from heat. While couscous is cooking, defrost chicken sausage in microwave and cut into thin slices. Pour olive oil, lemon dressing into couscous and mix. Add feta, mix well, and cover again to let cheese warm. After a couple of minutes, throw in the remaining ingredients - tomato, cucumber, chicken sausage. If couscous is dry, I add a tbsp or two of water and turn the heat back on for a few seconds. The cold ingredients tend to cool down the couscous quickly, so eat immediately.

If serving two, I usually cook 1 cup of couscous and that gives extremely healthy portion sizes. You can also use grilled chicken breast in this recipe, or make it completely vegetarian.

Hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment