As we aspire to achieve balance through fitness and proper nutrition, we allow our best selves to shine. This blog is dedicated to the effort involved in realizing that balance.







Monday, September 13, 2010

Where there's a will, there's a way


Two of my clients ran their first 10K race on Sunday, and I was lucky enough to join them. When we started training together almost six months ago, they were very much beginning runners with a lot of natural ability but definitely untrained muscles. For the cardio portion of our sessions, they started by jogging for two minutes followed by one minute of walking. Each week the jogging intervals increased and the walking intervals decreased until they could both run consistently for thirty minutes. Watching their progress was gratifying but I knew they needed a goal, so I suggested signing up for a 10K. I'm the type of person who always performs better if I have something to aim for, and I was hoping an event would keep them focused and motivated as well. I quickly learned that motivation was not lacking in either of these ladies. Since I've been working with them they have never missed a session unless out of town. They also complete two additional outlined workouts sent by me each week without complaint. They are committed to becoming healthier and, as a result, they've lost weight, increased muscle mass and, in meantime, become runners. I learn from the people I teach, and their dedication has been a great example for me.

I've mentioned before how fortunate I feel to work with such wonderful clients. These two particular women have become much more than that - I consider them friends. I should have known that when I became a personal trainer, I would inevitably become invested not only in the health and well-being of those in which I work, but also in the relationships created. The 10K on Sunday was a great success for many reasons, but I'll always treasure it because it was an accomplishment two friends set out to achieve and I had the pleasure of helping them realize it. Just another reason I love my job.


No comments:

Post a Comment