As we aspire to achieve balance through fitness and proper nutrition, we allow our best selves to shine. This blog is dedicated to the effort involved in realizing that balance.







Thursday, March 13, 2014

Life (happily) interrupted.




Crickets. 
That's been the sound from my blog for almost 3 years.  At first, the fact that I hadn't made an entry crossed my mind quite often and it weighed on me.  But then, after awhile, it became one more task on a list that kept getting longer.  My priorities changed and sadly, this blog became easy to push to the back burner.  Life has been in full swing, and its kept me on my toes.  In February 2012, I was blessed with another healthy baby girl.  Lila Maren has brought nothing but happiness to our family since her arrival.  We could have never imagined what space this little person could fill in an already very full family.  But she makes her presence known every minute of every day.  At two years old now, she offers something for everyone: she's mommy and daddy's cuddler, a baby doll for her big sis, a fort-building sidekick to her big bro, a helpful, inquisitive, outgoing little explorer to babysitters and grandparents.  She has shaped us all and helped her older siblings become more responsible, loving, and aware, and has helped Keith and me appreciate the present.  It's only through a toddler's eyes that pinecones and stones become treasures, and the simple act of taking a walk down the block turns into an adventure.  To say she is our joy is an understatement.

Having three children has impacted my business, but it hasn't lessened its importance to  me.  My passion is just as strong as it was when I began training clients, and if anything it has grown.  Since moving to the valley over three years ago, I've transitioned from working mostly on the west side to our home gym.  This has afforded me great flexibility -- I'm able to drop Madeleine and Owen at school every morning and be back within ten minutes for my early clients. I also have the luxury of being with Lila most of the time.  She is often in the gym during session acting as a cheerleader and (usually) a happy distraction.  Because I'm in such demand when the kids are home, the few hours I work each day are sacred to me.  In that time, I recharge.  The workouts, the conversations, the friendships that have been built in that gym and in my yard during my weekly class, are so healing to me.  A constant theme in my blogs is the overwhelming love I have for the people I work with, and I have to reiterate that again.  I've gained quite a few new clients since moving to Studio City, and these people have become close friends that I look forward to seeing. I owe each client more than I could ever give.  My sessions give me purpose and that fulfills me in a way I know positively influences the way I parent and relate to my husband.

While motherhood and personal training take up most of my time, my life wouldn't be the same if I didn't run.  We all need something that is purely our own in life -- whether it's exercising, meditating, practicing yoga, reading, cooking -- it doesn't matter as long as you are left feeling better when it's over.  Running has been that outlet for me for many years, and a lot of my motivation to stay fit comes from the desire to keep my body in strong running shape.  Cross training, weights, and yoga have helped me become a better runner, and I try to pass along this balanced approach to my clients. I've completed two marathons since Lila was born, and I'm proud to say that one of them qualified me to enter the Boston Marathon next year.  This was goal I had in the back of my mind for some time, but I didn't know if I'd be able to achieve it.  It gives me great satisfaction to know that even though I'm getting older, I don't have to compromise my physical aspirations.  Everything worthwhile in life takes hard work, and as I watch my clients push pass their limits, I'm encouraged to continue pushing past mine.

Along with my fitness goals, I am determined to recommit to this blog.  I'm inspired by my friend, Katie Romey, who is a Registered Dietician and has partnered with me to offer a healthier approach to eating.  I believe that together we can help people take charge of their exercise routines and diet dilemmas once and for all.  Her new blog, aweekdayvegan.com, is a great resource for nutritious recipes and ideas.  Her blog pushed me to get back to writing, and I look forward to once again having a place to share my perspective on fitness and health.  Life is traveling at a million miles an hour right now, but I believe this blog will give me another occasion to slow down and relish in what's important.  Yes, it's another thing to do on a list that keeps growing, but I'm ready now to give it top billing.

No comments:

Post a Comment